The island of Corfu with such brilliant history has numerous places worth visiting. At the north-east side of the island and at about 20 kilometres distance from the city of Corfu (a 22 minute drive from the central port) the picturesque coastal village called Barbati is located. In Barbati and more particularly at Glyfa you will find Oceanis Martiblue Apartments.
At the north-east side of the island and at about 20 kilometres distance from the city of Corfu (a 22 minute drive from the central port) the picturesque coastal village called Barbati is located.
Barbati keenly preserves the well-known beauty of the islands of the Ionian Sea: the green of the vegetation and the trees which nearly touch the blue of the sea. The clean and beautiful beaches, other strewn with sand other with pebbles, are ideal for both companies of youngsters and families with babies and children or not so young members. This place could never be considered a primarily tourist's place nor is it crowded as there are no big hotels but just some small hotel units which mostly work on family basis, apartments and rooms to let.
Nevertheless there are super-markets, mini-markets, restaurants, taverns and barbecues, places where one can have launch, dinner, enjoy a coffee or a drink looking at the endless beauty of the sea. Barbati is ideal for those who want to relax during their vacations. For those who most of all wish to calm down, to get away from the rhythm of the everyday routine, the traffic, the fuss and the mess of city-living. On the other hand, for those who would like to go clubbing, go to bars, fast-food restaurants and like crowded places, can go not only to the city of Corfu which is so close but also to the nearby coastal village of Ipsos at a seven minutes driving distance. In Barbati and more particularly at Glyfa you will find Oceanis Martiblue Apartments.
PLACES OF INTEREST
The island of Corfu with such brilliant history has numerous places worth visiting. It wouldn't be possible to mention them all so only indicatively do we suggest you visited the following:
- The old palace: built of Malta stone in 1819 to house the Ionian Senate and to be the residence of Aggelos Armostis. In 1994 the old palace hosted a part of the Summit of the European Union and today it houses the Museum of Asian Art.
- The Royal Old Town: the few saved samples of the Byzantine fortress.
- The sacred temple of Saint Spyridon: the temple of the protector saint of Corfu was built in 1590 after the demolition of the older temple which was built in the area of Saroko.
- The Aggelokastro: a marvellous construction of the 13th century.
- The Old Fortress: built during the years of the Byzantine Empire at the east side of the central port of the city of Corfu.
- The New Fortress: architecturally remarkable, built on the hill over the old port of Corfu.
- The Palace of Achilles : the residence of princess Elisabeth Von Vittelsbach (also known as princess Sissy), full of statues of the Gods of Olympus as well as the enormous and impressive statue of Achilles in the wonderful garden. - Kaiser's bridge - The Kanoni (The Cannon)
It would be a great omission not to mention as a great tourist experience the walk into the narrow stone-paved streets of the city of Corfu, the well known "kantounia", where the visitors may see old buildings and stores, housewives stretching out their fresh-washed clothes on a rope tight on the opposite balcony, wandering salesmen. In addition, excursions to the small coastal towns or to the mountain villages which still preserve their traditional features are definitely due.
- The Museum of Asian Art: the only museum in Greece with Asian exhibits.
- The Archaeological Museum of the city of Corfu: amongst the rest of the exhibited findings there is the sculpted gable of Gorgo, the oldest Greek stone gable ever found.
- The Byzantine Museum
- The Museum of Kapodistrias
- The Museum of Solomos
- The Museum of Ceramic Art
- The Museum of Banknotes of the Ionian Bank
- The Serbian Museum
- The Municipal Gallery
- The Historical and Folklore Museum of Corfu
- The Museum of Sea
Book your Ferry tickets and Travel to Corfu!